Thursday 14 January 2016

The Accident Season- Moira Fowley-Doyle BOOK TALK

I don't even know where to start with this book. It was okay but, overall, I felt a bit disappointed with it. This story has had quite a bit of hype surrounding it and I had high expectations for it from the beginning. They wasn't anything MAJORLY wrong with it but I just had a few issues.
I would still recommend reading the book as I know for a fact that many people did still love this book but, for me, it was simply 'meh'. That's all I can really say for the non-spoiler section but, go read it, and then you can come back and we can talk about it.

spoilers ahead-spoilers ahead-spoilers ahead-spoilers ahead-spoilers ahead

For me, the book started off slowly and it took me a while to figure out what was happening and understand it all. The premise of the book was interesting and it had so much potential but I just think that it was executed poorly.

I felt that the characters were dry and I didn't feel any connection to them. Although, I did like the pairings of Sam/Cara and Bea/Alice- even if the end result was a tad predictable.
The whole 'magic' and 'changeling' aspect was unique but it got very confusing when blended with what was really happening. I struggled to tell what was real and what wasn't and while that was probably meant to make the reader feel intrigued, it made me feel frustrated. Even after finishing it, I still had no idea what happened and what didn't.
Finding that Elsie was the reason for the accident season was a bit anticlimactic as, throughout the whole story, it felt like we were building up to this huge revelation, when in reality, it was just because of Elsie. It annoyed me that we didn't see more of Elsie and didn't find out the whole story of how she ended up where she was.
This book was a bit vague on the past and didn't really expand on, for example, the past of their Mum and Elsie. I think it was just a bit rushed and the information was quickly shoved into the story so that it made 'sense'.
However, I did enjoy reading it even though I had a few problems with it.
Overall, I gave it 2 out of 5 stars as it wasn't something that particularly gripped me.

Thanks for reading. Please comment your own thoughts on the book- I know I was a bit harsh...
See you soon,
Chloe x


No comments:

Post a Comment