Thursday 25 August 2016

Writing Exercises #1- 7x7x7

Recently, I've been delving into lots of writing exercises to help me get into the 'zone' when writing. Some of the activities I've found are really fun so I decided to recommend a few activities that might help you and to give some of my own examples.

This exercise is called 7x7x7 (obviously, if you look at the title). For this, you simply pick the seventh book on your bookshelf, go to the seventh page and pick out the seventh sentence. (Picking up a theme here?) The task is to basically write a seven line poem using that sentence as your first line. I found this super fun and I'll give you a few of the ones I did. The sentences started off well but the third one I got... well, it was a bit iffy....

"I love that my touch affected him so."- The Power, Jennifer L. Armentrout

I love that my touch affected him so.
subtle, yet significant.
The way a shiver ran down his spine,
and the spread corners of his lips.
He let out a soft sight,
and, boy, am I surprised.
I never knew my touch affected him so.


"He collapsed to the ground"- A Court of Mist and Fury, Sarah J. Maas

He collapsed to the ground,
and my heart fell with him.
The blood pooled beneath his head,
in a halo of blood.
My heart sputtered as his breathing stopped,
and an air of death surrounded us.
For the final time, he closed his eyes.

And here's the questionable one....

"And ducks."- Before I Die, Jenny Downham (Top quality sentence right there).

And ducks.
Oh, the lucky things;
they were free and wild,
Not one trouble fazed their little heads,
and no responsibilities weighed them down.
What I would give to be a duck.
What I would give to be free.

(I resisted the temptation to write about Will Herondale).


- Chloe Harris


Thanks for reading! I'd love to see your tries! See you soon,
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment