Saturday 10 September 2016

Contemporary Recommendations!!!

Need a cute and fuzzy contemporary read to pick you up after summer? Perfect! I've listed five of my favourite contemporary reads that I'd definitely suggest you reading. Whether it be a cute romance or heart-breaking read, they're all below. The authors I've included also have many more books out that I love but I've picked out my favourite of theirs- so check out some of there other works as well!
Enjoy!

Undone- Cat Clarke
This book is, if I had to choose, my favourite ever contemporary. And I will forever recommend it because not enough people in this world has read it! It has such a raw and relatable concept and pulls me in with every single character, plotline and page. This story follows Jemima- Jem- as she seeks out revenge. Why? Because her best friend- the boy she loves- was 'outed' online as being gay. When Kai commits suicide she is determined to find out who is responsible, infiltrate their group and take them down from the inside. This book is stunning and it will always be a favourite of mine.   



Louder Than Words- Laura Jarratt
Laura Jarratt is one of my favourite contemporary authors simply because she is so consistent with amazing books. Unfortunately I can't list them all but I'd advise picking up any one of her books because they're all stunning. Her novels are the eye-opening, insightful and deep stories that are relatable to so many people. Louder Than Words touches upon so many difficult and relatable subjects and it's a must-read for all these reasons. It follows, among other things, a mute girl who is struggling to get through life and grow as an individual. It's such an inspiring read and I read the whole thing in one sitting.





We Were Liars- E. Lockhart
I read this book this year and freaking loved it. It's definitely the most creepy and eerie of all these books and the story is mind-blowing. Obviously, I'm giving no spoilers but I'd highly recommend giving it a try. This book has had so much hype and some people may disagree with it but I think it deserves every good word it gets. It was a staggeringly short book yet outstandingly complex. I have a BOOK TALK for this book which I'll link here for you to read- even the non-spoiler section if you haven't read it yet!





Soulmates- Holly Bourne
Soulmates is that book I read years and years ago and have read over ten times at least. And each and time I re-read it, I cry just as much as I did the first time. It's an amazing read and such an interesting concept that gets revealed as you read along. Holly Bourne is another of my go-to contemporary authors because she always delivers. Her books are realistic (maybe apart from this one), relatable and just bloody fantastic! Some may disagree with me and say that this isn't really a contemporary because it has a fantasy-ish element but I'd still class it as a contemporary- to me it's more scientific possibilities rather than fantasy. This story plays with the idea that if Soulmates meet, it would be earth-shattering....literally. This is such a unique and poignant book and even talking about it makes me want to re-read it for the hundredth time.



Faking Normal- Courtney C. Stevens
I read this last year and it instantly made a big impression on me. This book has a very real and serious subject matter. Trigger warning of rape and self-harm. This book is truly eye-opening and raw. It handles such serious and relatable topics so beautifully and creates a lasting impression that's not likely to leave you. The friendships are bitter sweet and the story is swift and heart-breaking. You may have to reach for the tissues but it'll definitely be worth it.




So, there you have it! Thank you for reading and feel free to comment any recommendations you have for me (I always need more books to read!) Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment