Wednesday 19 April 2017

A Monster Calls ADAPTATION TALK

Based off the novel by Patrick Ness, this was a great adaptation and impressively accurate to the original works. I was really impressed by the quality of the film and the casting was on point in my opinion. It isn't a ridiculously long book anyway, so it was surely easier to fit in everything from the book and keep true to the plot.
This isn't exactly a happy movie and is definitely a tear-jerker so... if you're looking for a classic rom-com, I'd suggest looking elsewhere, This story is about a boy fighting the truth and coming to terms with what's going on around him. It's a very eye-opening story and I'd certainly recommend it- though, obviously, I'd suggest reading the book first if you haven't. 
I also have an A Monster Calls Book Talk which I'll link in case you missed it.

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
First things first, the one thing I have to rave about is how damn beautiful this production was. The cinematography was stunning all throughout and I loved the use of watercolours in the story segments- it added a dreamy and imaginative feel that was spot on to how the book felt.
I loved how the monster was portrayed in the movie- it was pretty much exact to how I imagined him. Liam Neeson was the perfect voice for the monster- I can't imagine anyone else doing it as well.
The story was beautifully paced and it was great to see the book faithfully portrayed.
It was definitely sad at the end and I loved how they alluded at the end about Conor's mum possibly knowing the monster too.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts! Stay amazing!
Chloe 

1 comment:

  1. So glad we finally got to watch this together. The watercolour parts are definitely the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete