Thursday 9 November 2017

Game of Thrones 3x09 'The Rains of Castamere' TV TALK

I've been building up to writing this review. Because I don't know what to say.
Game of Thrones seriously should come with free tissues!
This episode broke me and I was not expecting any of what happened. I was left in uncontrollable sobs and... still, the scene was a masterpiece. It was the most beautiful, painful and meaningful scene I've ever watched and the actors did phenomenally. This episode is likely to stay with me a very long time (and haunt my very nightmares).

TV TALKS:
Season 1:  1x01  |  1x02  |  1x03  |  1x04  |  1x05  |  1x06  |  1x07  |  1x08  |  1x09  |  1x10
Season 2:  2x01  |  2x02  |  2x03  |  2x04  |  2x05  |  2x06  |  2x07  |  2x08  |  2x09  |  2x10
Season 3:  3x01  |  3x02  |  3x03  |  3x04  |  3x05  |  3x06  |  3x07  |  3x08

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
I'm going to talk about everyone and everything I can before getting to the infamous scene in this episode... because I'm still not over it.

Jon got in a bit of a pickle today but at least he didn't die... The Wildlings set off to steal some horses but when Jon was ordered to kill the owner, he refused, leaving Ygritte to do the deed. The Wildlings instantly turned on them and Jon, naturally, ran for his life.... leaving Ygritte behind.
Close by, (frustratingly close by!!!), Bran accidentally warged into Hodor as well as his direwolf, Summer. During this warg session, Bran sees Jon escape the Wildlings so knows that he's safe. Rickon and Osha split off from Bran because Bran and Jojen are headed North of the Wall which is too dangerous for little Rickon. I suppose it's also too dangerous for a paraplegic but... try telling Bran that.
Across the Narrow Sea, Daario, Jorah and Grey Worm managed to persuade the Yunkai soldiers to rise up against the slave masters so it looks like Khaleesi will soon be getting an even bigger army!
The Hound took Arya to the Twins in this episode and saved her after everything went down- taking her away before she could be killed.... which I respect him for.
Now, for the main event.
Edmure marries the Frey daughter- who was obviously going to be beautiful because.... classic comedic value.
I love the subtle foreshadowing when Walder Frey says 'the wine will flow red.' The usual saying is 'flow red with blood' and that was such a subtle and disguised foreshadowing to the events of the wedding- the Red Wedding.
The Freys and Boltons overthrow the Starks and... it all goes downhill from there.
Talisa was stabbed multiple times in the stomach and... it was painful! Only earlier she was telling Robb how she'd name the child Eddard if it was a boy and now.... she just got brutally stabbed. It wouldn't have been as vicious if it were one stab but.... it was stab. After stab. After stab. And I swear, my heart stopped.
Greywind was shot which was another sad death that I think people overlook. Watching Greywind slump to the floor and close his eyes with a whimper... it was crushing.
But we're not done yet. Oh no, far from it.
Robb was shot twice, crawled to Talisa's side and ended up stabbed by Lord Bolton along with being given the Lannister's regards. And the worst thing was that Robb's last word was 'Mother...' I was not expecting Robb to die! I'd been spoiled that Talisa would die but I thought Robb made it to at least season six! I loved Robb...
(I was sobbing by now).
And finally we had the fall of Cat. I think this must have been the most painful death in my opinion.
Cat has lost all of her family- Ned was executed, Sansa and (supposedly) Arya are stuck with the Lannisters, Bran and Rickon are nowhere to be seen, Winterfell has fallen and now Robb is dead... she has nothing left to live for. The raw agony in her face and cries just portrayed all of her loss and grief and she just... gave up. She had no energy to do anything so she slit the Frey wife's throat and waited- waited- for someone to blissfully end it for her. That's why it was the worst death out of all of them. It was the grief of a mother after watching her last son die in front of her eyes.
I'd really recommend watching this Red Wedding tribute on Youtube- the song and the clips are put together beautifully and it makes me want to cry every time I watch it: Timbers and Wind

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment