Sunday 13 March 2016

2016 Book TBR

I know that we're already in March, so this post is a little overdue but I figured, better late than never. I've compiled a list of 12 books - one for each month- that I desperately want to read this year. I've already read a couple- it is March, to be fair- but wanted to write my list down instead of having it only exist in my head. Here goes...

1. The Game of Love and Death- Martha Brokenbrough
This is one of the books that I've already picked up and I'm really glad I did. This is a historical fiction novel- a genre I rarely pick up- that follows personified characters of Love and Death.
Every few decades, Love and Death both pick players, normal humans that are unaware of this game- and battle out to crown a victor. Death always wins. This book is about a certain game that veers of line and surprises Love and Death.
I gave this book a 3/5 stars as I did enjoy it.








2. The Raven Boys- Maggie Stiefvater
I wanted to read this book this year because I really do want to give it another chance. I've read half of it before and didn't really like it. However, this was a couple of years ago and there's been so many great reviews for this series! I want to try again and see if my opinions have changed.





3. Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
This is a classic must-read and it frustrates me so much that I haven't read it all. Again, I have read half of this book before but never ended up finishing it. A goal of mine is to finally finish this year.






4. Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen
This is another must-read, I think and I'd love to get to it this year. I'm definitely in a bit of a classic genre mood so I'm excited to read this.









5. Devil's Due- Rachel Caine
This is the second in a duology- the first book being Devil's Bargain. I've read the first book and I keep meaning to get to the second but seem to never have time! So many books, so little time... (And also, the cover is stunning!)






6. The Perks of Being A Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky
I've also read this book already! I've been meaning to read it for a while but didn't have much of a motivation to actually pick it up. This book is about a boy called Charlie who is trying to navigate his way through high-school. It deals with a lot of serious issues and beautifully looks into them.
I watched the movie before reading this (I know, I know... sinful) but I really enjoyed the book and the movie didn't spoil it at all for me.







7. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer- Michelle Hodkin
I've really wanted to read this book for so long but I've been put off as I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. But I'd still like to read it to see my own opinions of it. It appears to be creepy and very eerie which appeals to me alone.





8. The Queen of the Tearling- Erica Johnasen
This book has been on my shelf for a while and I keep meaning to get to it! I heard that a movie adaptation was being made for this book (staring Emma Watson!) and this spurred me to finally buy it so now all I need to do is read it! This is set in a antiquated society but is a dystopian. I don't know all the ins and outs on what it's about but I want to go into this not knowing much. It has been said to be very politically based and that aspect has pulled me back but I'm still determined to read it!




9. Red Riding Hood- Sarah Blakley-Cartwright and David Leslie Johnson
This book has been adapted into the movie Red Riding Hood (hence the movie cover which is unfortunately the one I own) and I have seen the movie (Sin no.2) so I am interested in reading the novel behind it. The reason it's on my 2016 TBR is because I seriously need to read it this year. My brother bought this book for my birthday three years ago! He keeps asking me if I've read it and I feel so bad when I say no! I will read it this year, I will read it this year, I will read it this year!



10. Hexed- Michelle Krys
This is another book that I've had on my shelf for years and desperately need to read. I held back because I wanted to get the sequel so that I could read them back to back. A couple of years later and I still haven't bought the sequel (there are a lot of books out, in my defence!) So, I believe that if I read the first book I might gain a bit more motivation to get the sequel. (Apparently there's a big cliff-hanger at the end!) Hopefully this theory will work.




11. Champion- Marie Lu
I've read the first two books to this trilogy but have never had the chance to finish it off! As it has been so long since I read this series I plan to re-read the first two books before I get to the finale. This plan, however, is taking a long time for me to actually execute. Hence me putting this book on this list. And don't get me wrong, I love this series; I just need the motivation to read it all over again.




12. Wolf By Wolf- Ryan Graudin
This is an alternate history novel. Personally, I don't often pick up historical fiction; it just doesn't interest me. I get bored, confused and lazy whilst reading them. However, when hearing the synopsis for this book, I knew that this had to be the exception. This novel is set in Germany (post world war 2) and, in this alternate reality, the Nazis won the war. Hitler has reigned for ten years and this book follows a girl called Yael who is part of the resistance. Her mission is to assassinate Hitler. She just has to get close enough to do it...
I have already read this book (I finished it today!) and I thought it was stunning! I will have a full review up soon but, just as a quick thought; it was beautifully written and I gave it a 5/5 stars. I loved it so much and am happy that I picked it up.



So here are the twelve books I plan to read in 2016. Please comment your TBR, I'd love to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment