Saturday 16 July 2016

Notes on Being Teenage- Rosalind Jana BOOK TALK

**
I don't exactly know what I was expecting in this book but I was both pleasantly surprised and disappointed at the same time.
This book is a collection of stories about Rosalind- exploring experiences that she's been through- and the issues with society and how we grow up within this confusing and contradicting society.
This book touches on many subjects like, identity, fitting in, sexuality and being yourself. It included many stories and quotes from many different people and had recommendations of a range of different websites and books in specific subjects.
I can't really include a spoiler section as this isn't plot based but is set in chapters that talk about different subjects. (It would be hard to spoil this book).
I generally liked the voice in which this book was written. It was written in a very conversationalist way and I enjoyed this.
This novel was extremely relatable- the basic purpose of it, I think- as there were so many truths on our society that I agree with. I liked this aspect because it made it interesting to read as I was nodding along with most of what she said.
However, a huge chunk of this book didn't resonate with me at all. There was a lot of talk about fashion and how your clothes are a big part of your identity. I don't necessarily agree and this ruined a massive part of the book. I mean...It went on and on and on about clothes, make-up and modelling etc. (You get the idea).
As it wasn't plot based and was simply a conversational book, it took a long time for me to read and dragged at quite a few parts. I found myself skimming many paragraphs just to get through it quicker. This is mainly why my star rating is so low (that and the fashion thing.... not really my cup of tea).
I would definitely recommend it if you have a passion for fashion or even if you fancy a bit of a conversation (a one sided talk but a conversation nevertheless).
A decent read that did, despite my main dislike, have many redeeming qualities and important messages about growing up.

Thanks for reading! Comment any thoughts you had. See you soon,
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment