Thursday 29 December 2016

December Wrap Up 2016

December was an good month- a bit of an odd one. I read bits and bobs- no specific genre or type of book seemed to be prominent.
I've managed to read a total of 90 books this year- smashing my goal of 75!


Red Rising (Red Rising#1)- Pierce Brown 
****
While this was November's Book of the Month, I started it in November and finished it in December. Red Rising is a sci-fi/dystopian novel set on Mars. It deals with the concept that Reds are discriminated in a world ruled by Golds. Darrow- a low-life red- transforms into a Gold in order to take them down from the inside. This book started off quite slow but grabbed me about half way through. My Book Talk will be linked here.




Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (The Original Screenplay)- J.K. Rowling 
**** (4.5 stars)
After watching the movie earlier this month (Adaptation Talk here), I picked up the screenplay straight away and got to reading. This prequel to the classic Harry Potter brought a whole new dimension to the wizarding world and I'm so excited for all that's to come. I'll link my Book Talk here.







Paper and Fire (The Great Library #2)- Rachel Caine (Book of the Month)
***
Paper and Fire was December's Book of the Month and- surprisingly- I loved it. I wasn't a massive fan of the first book but this sequel has really won me over. There is excellent romance, action and character growth. The plot is intriguing and I'd definitely recommend it- especially for book-lovers. I have a Book Talk which I'll link here for you guys.




Undone- Cat Clarke (Re-read)
*****
I read this book every December and it was so lovely to fall back into one of my favourite stories. This story deals with a lot of serious subjects; suicide, sexuality, bullying and betrayal. I love everything about this book- characters, plot, poignancy- and it was so nice to re-read it yet again.







Singing Fire- T.L. Martin (ARC)
**** 
I received Singing Fire directly from the author and I loved this book. It was an easy, light and immensely enjoyable. While it does cover an almost cliché genre of literature (vampire/witch feud), the plot was original and executed beautifully. I'd say that this book is a mix between The Morganville Vampires (Rachel Caine), Hexed (Michelle Krys) and good ol'  Twilight (Stephanie Meyer). A Book Talk will be up soon so stay tuned!




Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)- Marissa Meyer
*****
I've previously read Heartless but Miss Meyer (and loved it) and I've been meaning to read The Lunar Chronicles for so long. And with the Christmas holidays looming over me (so much free time!) I decided I'd read the series back-to-back. And I am so happy that I did! This series is amazing and I'd recommend for anyone to read it! I love fairytale retellings and Meyer has to be the Queen of them- adding a sci-fi twist that shoots the series up to perfection. Book Talk will up soon hopefully!



Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)- Marissa Meyer
*****
This series is amazing. I can't even say it enough. The beautiful blend with science fiction is effortless and it's the most gripping story you'll ever read. I'm reading these books much quicker than I would have thought possible- they may be big but they're so quick to read.
Scarlet introduces new charactres whilst revisting old ones and it's everything I wanted it to be.
These books definitely need to be read in order- otherwise it won't make any sense to you.
While Scarlet is my least favourite of the quartet, it was still amazing.


Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3)- Marissa Meyer
*****
These books are just so damn good that it's hard to resist reading them 24/7 (I'm so happy I've read them over the holidays- it would have been painful to leave them for school). These books are so quick to read and I'm sure I'll finish Winter before the end of December! Though, I don't want the story to end!! Book Talks for the series will be up soon, I promise!!
The characters are brilliant and, with each new book, more characters are introduced and the crew grows bigger and even more brilliant! The finale is going to be epic!
Cress has to be my second favourite of the series.


Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4)- Marissa Meyer
***** 
This is how you write a finale. 820 pages of glorious writing and it still wasn't long enough- I wanted it to go on forever. Everything was written and executed so beautifully and it was everything I could've asked for in a finale. There were no loose ends and it was as perfect as perfect could be. Despite it being a humungous book, I stormed through and finished in a couple of days. I'm going to have such a huge book hangover but it was worth it!




Thank you so much for reading! What books did you read in December? Feel free to comment below! Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment