Sunday 22 October 2017

Fantasy Recommendations!!!

It's been a while since I recommended any books and so I thought I'd jump into a fantasy edition. I find that, in the winter, I'm much more inclined to pick out a fantasy rather than a contemporary so this is your guide on what to dive into next!

(I'll try to stay away from obvious choices eg. Harry Potter)







The Covenant series- Jennifer L. Armentrout
JLA is such an underrated author and the Covenant series is such an underrated series. I have read these book so many times and each time is as epic and exciting as the last. It centres around Greek mythology which is a personal passion of mime and the characters are so sassy, bad-ass and... human! They feel so real! JLA has a talent for creating amazing characters and writing her books with such humour. Honestly, I would recommend any one of her books but, if you love fantasy, these are definitely the ones to go for first.





ACOTAR/ Throne of Glass- Sarah J. Maas
I physically couldn't write this post without including the Queen of Fantasy. Have you read her books?! My personal favourite is A Court of Mist and Fury but all of her books are stunning. Maas creates such complex and intricate worlds and it's fascinating to dive into. The characters are so deep and flawed and it makes for the best fantasy stories.
Book Talks: ACOTAR | ACOMAF | ACOWAR | Queen of Shadows | Empire of Storms




Game of Thrones- George R. R. Martin
Yes, I haven't read the books and yes, that is a crime. But.... I'm planing to. Don't shoot just yet.
But, I can say with great conviction, that the TV show is something of a work of art and if you've never read a page or watched an episode of this story.... you're missing out on life. Sure, there's overwhelming pain that comes with discovering this story and losing loved characters but it's all worth it. Just.... make sure you have tissues.
TV Talks


Shatter Me series- Tahereh Mafi
This story was originally a trilogy and the next book comes out in March 2018 so you still have time to get onto this train! This is an epic fantasy romance series that gets better and better with each book (fingers crossed for the next one). The characters are so deep and the relationships so complex it pulls you in from the beginning. Plus, there're epic superpowers involved... I love this series so much- the humour, the romance, the action- and I'm so pumped that an extra book is coming our way.
Book Talks: Shatter Me | Unravel Me | Ignite Me




Vicious- V. E. Schwab 
This was a late addition to this list and I actually haven't even finished it! But I had to include it because it's blowing my mind. This is the first V. E. Schwab I've read after hearing a lot of hype and I can confirm that it's very well-placed praise. This book is so genius and could maybe lean a little toward the supernatural/paranormal genre but... I needed to talk about it, okay? It has such a unique element of the sides being so skewed- it's totally up to the individual over who is the hero and who's the villain. I love it. Book talk coming soon hopefully.



Carry On- Rainbow Rowell
(This is my loophole for not including Harry Potter). This isn't as much a high fantasy novel like the others but more of an easy read. It feels really familiar and nostalgic because of it's similarities to Harry Potter and that made it so amazing! It felt so nostalgic and it was fun to read- especially if you've read Fangirl- the novel it stems from. It's not a conventional fantasy read but I'd still go straight for it- Rainbow Rowell can write more than just contemporaries.
Carry On Book Talk 


Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment you thoughts- any books you'd like to recommend to me? Stay amazing!
Chloe

2 comments:

  1. Nice loophole there. Very sneaky.
    I feel like I haven't dived into a good fantasy in ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's no excuse not to jump into the ACOTAR and Shatter Me trilogies, is there then? :P

      Delete